Saturday, August 05, 2006

Review: Attack of the Man-Eating Lotus Blossoms

Justin Chin. Attack of the Man-Eating Lotus Blossoms
Published by Suspect Thoughts Press
Reviewed by Leon Fleming


Attack of the Man-Eating Lotus Blossoms is a collection of scripts and descriptions of performance art. Oh dear, I thought, I know nothing about performance art. And then I read the book.

I still don’t know a great deal about performance art, but I know a lot more than I did. This is a wonderful book. The introductions to each piece are witty, informative and give a warm, slightly nostalgic, edge to the text.The scripts themselves are extremely good. The pieces are creative, funny, honest, and vicious in parts.

I feel happy now that I know something about being a gay Asian-American living in San Francisco during the 1990’s, and the emotions brought about by AIDS, sex-tourism and the general feeling towards gay Asian-Americans.I can’t ever do a Cher and turn back time, and so I shall never sit in the audience of one of Justin Chin’s shows, leaving this the nearest thing to the experience.

This book deserves to be on everybody’s bookshelf.

Leon Fleming can be found here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home